Sunday, July 2, 2017

Portraits of a Girl

She is miles away this weekend. The iPhone "portraits" that have come through show a very different girl, one that is covered in sweat and mud, fueled by competition. This girl of mine is a strong beauty, a quiet force, an exception to the rule of modern youth. Truly, a sweet 16.

We were late in taking our traditional birthday pictures; in fact, we were too busy to even come up with a location or theme that differed from years past. Then we found this spot after school had ended and it seemed just right: Solid rock with a remarkable soft facade and mysteries in hidden crevices... just like her.



We took off early in the morning before the boys were up, joined the south-bound interstate traffic, and hiked out to our location before the day's heat and shadows caught up to us. She had shopped my closet the night before and filled her back pack with options from which to choose. We had no expectations, just a desire to create images as the moments unfolded.

The earrings Michael made and gifted her seem made for the occasion.



Psalm 27 comes to mind as I look through these images, and the words translate into a prayer for her...

"The Lord is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid?"


"For he will hide me in his shelter
    in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
    he will lift me high upon a rock."



"I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living!
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the Lord!"



The fact that she is a girl in a household of boys is evident in the fact that she can change anywhere. Discrete outfit changes in public places are no big deal. The boys are not as discrete, that is true, but her ability to just do what she desires without any drama is something I like about her.



Wild flowers. 
The best combo of words and sentiments.







Another outfit change, but by this point the sun/shadows were coming out strong and the pathways/angles were becoming difficult for pictures.



Heading home...


Earlier tonight I was texted a picture of Michael and Olivia together at camp. Tonight was "classy night" and all the mud and grime had been exchanged for dress clothes. Olivia wore a flared tulle skirt and Michael sported a bow tie and suspenders. I loved that in the pictures I've been sent their affection for each other has been evident. You know how thankful and happy that makes me as their mom? Too much for words.

It's so cool to see my kids growing up.



~Katherine



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...